Other Permits & Licenses

All dogs must be licensed in Deephaven. A two-year dog license costs $20 (cash or check) and may be obtained at City Hall. If you purchase your dog tag within the second year of that time frame the cost is pro-rated to $10. Complete the application form below, provide proof of current rabies vaccination and comply with these regulations:

  • All dogs over six months of age must be licensed. Once a dog is initially licensed, licenses are issued every two years with all licenses expiring on December 31st on the odd numbered year.
  • Dogs are prohibited to enter upon any playground or ball field of any park with the exception of Thorpe Park, where dogs are allowed only on the walking path on a leash.
  • Dogs are prohibited to enter upon any public beach with the exception of Deephaven Beach, where dogs are allowed only on the walking path on a leash.
  • Owners are responsible for "picking up‟ after their dog. Mutt Mitts are available in our parks and trails for your use to clean up after your dog. Keep a few extra tied to your leash so you're prepared for the inevitable. Be a responsible pet owner and help keep our parks clean for others to enjoy.
  • A dog is considered at large if it is off the premises of its owner and is not (a) controlled by a leash of six feet or less in length, (b) at the heel beside a person having custody of the dog and obedient to that person's commands, or (c) within a vehicle or similar confinement.
  • No resident can keep more than two dogs over the age of six months at any residence within the City unless each dog is licensed and a special permit authorizing the keeping of more than two dogs is received from the City.
  • No person shall keep any dog which unreasonably disturbs the peace and quiet of any person in the vicinity. The phrase "unreasonably disturb the peace and quiet" shall include, but is not limited to, the creation of any noise that can be heard by any person, including the Animal Control Officer or law enforcement officer, from a location outside of the building or premises where the dog is being kept and the noise occurs repeatedly over at least a five minute period of time with one minute or less lapse of time between each noise during the five minute period.
  • The Police may impounded any dog found in the City without the required license tag and the impounded dog will be taken to the Village Animal Hospital located at 17660 Highway 7 in Minnetonka. The Village Animal Hospital will care for the dog for a period of no more than seven days. Any impounded dog may be reclaimed by the owner within seven days subject to payment to the City of all costs incurred by the City for boarding the dog. No dog can be reclaimed until the dog has been properly licensed.
  • A "Dangerous Dog" means any dog that has (1) without provocation, inflicted substantial bodily harm on a human being on public or private property, (2) killed a domestic animal without provocation while off the owners' property, or (3) been found to be potentially dangerous, and after the owner has notice that the dog is potentially dangerous, the dog aggressively bites, attacks, or endangers the safety of humans or domestic animals. If your dog has been determined to be a "Dangerous Dog" by the Deephaven Police Department, you are strongly encouraged to contact the Department at (952) 474-7555 to discuss the requirements of keeping a "Dangerous Dog" within the City.
  • Deephaven City Ordinances require your dog to be leashed or at your heel under your command at all times when off of your property.
  • Dogs are only allowed on the Thorpe Park walking path if they are on a leash.

For questions, please contact Amy Jones at AmyJ@cityofdeephaven.org or (952) 474-4755.

2024-2025 Dog License Application
More than 2 Dogs Ordinance
Kennel Application for more than 2 dogs

Right-of-Way (ROW) Permit Application:

Right-of-Way Permit Application

All roads in Deephaven have a 9-ton per axel limit, with these exceptions:

Seasonal weight restrictions are enforced on all city streets from March 1 to May 1 at 4-tons per axel, with the exception of:

  • Vine Hill Road and Minnetonka Boulevard: 6-ton per axel.


Before planning any construction project, remember that heavy loads and equipment are not allowed during the seasonal weight restriction period. If a waiver is necessary, it must be approved at City Hall and costs $500 per round-trip (cash or check).

Seasonal Overweight Permit Application

Truck Route Map

For-profit solicitors, peddlers and canvassers are allowed in Deephaven only with a license and a photo ID issued by the Police Department. The license application fee is $50 (cash or check) and, if granted, is valid for 14 days. The City does not endorse any specific product or service by issuing a license.

Charitable organizations conducting door-to-door information sharing or fundraising do not need a license.

Every resident and business has the right to prohibit peddlers and solicitors from their property. If you post a sign on your home or business that prohibits solicitors, they are not permitted to approach your property. If you would like to be included in a Do-Not-Solicit List, please contact City Hall.

If you have a complaint about a door to door salesperson or solicitors, contact the Deephaven Police Department at (952) 474-7555.

Peddler and Solicitor License Application

Special Event means any concert, parade, fair, show, festival, carnival, rally, party, filming of a movie, video or television show, motorcade, run, street dance, bike-a-thon, race, walk, athletic event or other attended outdoor entertainment or celebration that is to be held in whole or in part upon publicly owned property or public right-of-way.  

Permit Required.  Any person or organization desiring to conduct or sponsor a special event in the City shall first obtain a special event permit from the City.

Permit Application.  Any person or organization desiring to sponsor a special event that is not exempted by this Section must apply to the City for a special event permit.  The special event permit application must be filed not less thirty days in advance of the date in which the event is to occur if the special event requires the use or closure of any street, any detouring of traffic or any significant impact on City services. 

Permit Review.  The City Council shall review the special event permit application and determine whether to issue or deny the permit.

Permit Conditions.  The City Council may condition the issuance of a special event permit by imposing reasonable conditions concerning the time, place and manner of the special event, and such conditions are necessary to protect the safety of persons and property, and the control of traffic; provided that such conditions shall not unreasonably restrict the right of free speech.   

Indemnification Agreement.  If the event, or any portion of the event is to be held on City property or right-of-way, prior to the issuance of a special event permit, the permit applicant and authorizing officer of the sponsoring organization, if any, must sign an agreement to indemnify, defend and hold the City, its officials, employees and agents harmless from any claim that arises in whole or in part out of the special event, except any claims arising solely out of the negligent acts or omissions of the City, its officials, employees and agents. 

Special Event Permit Application

All tree service contractors must be licensed annually in the City using the application below and paying a $50 fee.

Residents are responsible for checking that a tree service contractor is licensed with the City before work begins. If not, please have them complete and deliver the license form below to City Hall. The City requires that all tree service contractors be licensed, insured and have a permit for the intended tree work. This requirement is for your protection since accidents can and do happen during tree removal or trimming. Tree Service licenses have a $50 annual fee, expire on December 31, and must be renewed annually.

Tree Service Contractors license for the City of Deephaven